With an address commending PowerHousing Members from Federal Housing Minister Sukkar and Federal Leader of the Opposition Anthony Albanese, some of the best individuals and teams in social and affordable housing Community Housing were recognised at the 2020 PowerHousing Awards.
2020 is different and as a result, PowerHousing Academy has created new people-focused Awards for 2020. These awards aim to showcase the individuals in our Membership who have gone above and beyond to support their colleagues during these troubling times.
With hundreds gathering in office events and another 300 plus in remote and regional offices the event starts to end the year on a high note to celebrate the staff in our organisations that have brought people together, supported each other and done whatever they can to enhance the lives of their colleagues, tenants and the organisation – no matter how big or small.
The PowerHousing Academy Scholarship & Awards for FY2021 are:
- Excellence in Remote Working Support Award & Scholarship – Maria Porter (Link Housing (NSW) – This award recipient demonstrates innovation and excellence in remote working practice; works inclusively within the organisation; is an early adopter/developer of new solutions to help adapt the organisation; and may have worked with business and community partners to ensure collaboration. The Judges commented that Maria’s dedication to the organisation and its people is reflected in the support, programs and initiates Maria provided and executed. Maria is an asset to Link Housing. The highly commended nominees are Effie Warren at Bridge Housing Limited (NSW) and Dan Langelaan of Housing First (VIC).
- Innovation in Workplace Resilience Award & Scholarship – Tiegan Cosgrove (Southern Cross Housing- NSW) – This award recognises a staff member who has displayed a willingness to support their colleagues during this difficult time and a positive contribution to resilience of the workforce.- Judges commented that through, fires and pandemic, she put her hand up and did the job above that of others, and that she should be recognised for her selfless contribution to the Sector. The highly commended nominee was Corrine Donaldson of BHC (Brisbane Housing Company – QLD).
- Outstanding Achievement Award & Scholarship – Arnel Landicho (Link Housing – NSW) – This Award recognises an individual whose contribution to their organisation has resulted in real benefits to the organisation, to their tenants, to their community and the broader housing sector over time. Judges thought that Arnel had done an outstanding job in growing and managing Link’s disability housing. Arnel’s passion and experience has been able to deliver more improved services to the sector which clearly have made a “genuine positive impact on the lives of many.”
- Rising Star Award & Scholarship Immersion – Beauty Bwembya (Bethanie Group – WA) This award recognises an up-and-coming staff member who is not currently part of the Executive and Management team, but who has demonstrated potential through their work to be a leader in the organisation and sector.– The Judges’ saw that Beauty quickly identified the need for more services that support clients in being able to live independently, including meal preparation services, social aspects, transportation and mental health support. Beauty has also contributed to initiatives for better housing accessibility, such as reducing vacancy periods and improving maintenance schedules. The highly commended nominees for the Rising Star Award are Ninavah Shlaimon at Link Housing (NSW) and Jasmine Tarabay from Hume Community Housing (NSW).
- Team Award – Uniting Central Coast Partnership (Pacific Link Housing) – This Team nominee demonstrates sector capability improvements that are an example of best practice of CHPs in the Sector across areas such as IT, Administration, Operations, Maintenance, and or HR to create amazing outcomes which are to be recognised here today. The Judges’ commented that it was a good partnership approach with the development, built by Evolve Pacific Developments (which is an unincorporated Joint Venture between Pacific Link Housing and Evolve Housing). The partnership ensured that people had a pathway to permanent housing straight out of a crisis homeless situation in a period of worldwide turmoil. Of the 15 units available, Uniting was able to place 9 people, moving them from extended temporary accommodation. The outcomes provided via this partnership ensured people had security and the opportunity to live in a brand new, furnished unit. The highly commended teams were Homes4Life at BlueCHP (NSW), Housing Options Team at Homes North Community Housing (NSW) and Independent Living Program Access Housing (Housing Choices Australia – WA).
- Outstanding Sector Leadership – Jan Berriman This award is provided to the recipient, from the PowerHousing Board of Directors and our principal partners, to an individual who has displayed outstanding leadership in the Sector over their career to date. Jan Berriman is an outstanding Sector achiever in many diverse ways. We recognise her efforts across many Sector CHPs including Central Australian Affordable Housing Company, Melbourne Affordable Housing, Rural Housing Network – today known as Beyond Housing, Housing Choices Australia and most recently YWCA National Housing. Jan has previously worked in remote and regional housing in the Northern Territory to build capacity within Indigenous staff to deliver services to aboriginal town camps in Alice Springs and remote areas, she has helped develop partnerships with indigenous, private, government and community sectors to deliver housing projects and services, showing best practice on the international stage of the International Housing Partnerships. She provided assistance to PowerHousing its early days, as a board member to help set up the organisation to be a national peak representative body.
We thank all PowerHousing Australia Affiliates and especially Bendigo Bank, JLL, ANZ, Metricon, Simonds Homes and Castleton for their support with all winners and highly commended nominees in the non teams awards receiving scholarships.